For Psychology Professor Martin E.P. Seligman, the hung juries in the murder trials of Eric and Lyle Menendez are indicative of society's lack of personal responsibility today. "People now literally get away with murder," Seligman said in his speech at the University Museum's Harrison Auditorium yesterday afternoon. Seligman was one of six professors who discussed the topic of "Constructing Responsibility: Knowledge, Ethics and Individual Choice" at the kick-off event of University President Judith Rodin's two-day inaugural celebration. Discussing the philosophical issues of responsibility as a central element within American public discourse, each panelist was able to look at the topic with an eye toward his or her field. According to History Professor Drew Faust, chairperson of the Inauguration Committee, the question of personal responsibility cuts across all disciplines and fields. "We see this symposium as a particularly appropriate way to welcome [Rodin] to Penn as a distinguished scholar," said Faust, who introduced the symposium. The topic is one that Rodin herself spent time researching during her tenure at Yale University, where she was chairperson of the Psychology Department and most recently provost. Arthur Caplan, director of the University's Center for Bioethics, served as moderator for the discussion. He was the first of the experts to present the idea that society is struggling to create a notion of personal responsibility. Caplan said modern day shifts in personal responsibility can be seen in society's attitudes toward cigarette smoking and the use of contraceptives. Social Science Professor Elijah Anderson spoke about the enormous responsibility required to raise children in the inner-city. "Many Americans fail to appreciate the difficulties, the stress and the sheer dangers," Anderson said. "We must think of inner-city youth as worthy of our investment." Social Responsibility Professor Thomas Dunfee spoke about the applicability of the topic to the Rodin administration. "Issues of responsibility within the University and within the surrounding community will surely be an important agenda item for our new administration," he said. Dunfee also looked at the topic from a business standpoint, examining the criminal justice system. He blamed the system for not accepting personal responsibility and cited the case in which a woman sued McDonald's when she scorched herself with hot coffee. Social Sciences Professor Renee Fox referred to the writings of 19th century French social philosopher Alexis de Tocqueville. "As I see it," said Fox, "responsibility has become a leitmotif of the 1990s." She credits this shift to the emergence of a neo-individualist movement. While many were pessimistic about the direction that social responsibility is moving, Fox was optimistic as she referred to the many students who perform volunteer work. Seligman leaned on his theory of Learned Helplessness to explain his view of personal responsibility. "Having control and knowing you have control has three documented effects," he said, including an ability to fight depression, achieve more and maintain better physical health. He concluded that responsibility is learnable. "It can change," Seligman said. After the symposium, Rodin said she thought it was appropriate that an academic event was the first of the inaugural activities. The inauguration ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m. at Irvine Auditorium. Scheduled speakers include Yale President Richard Levin and Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell. An inaugural dinner was held last night at the Franklin Institute in Center City.