Students left high and dry by Budweiser can now take beer production into their own hands. The Penn Enterprising Zymurologists Club (PEZ), a new group aimed at students interested in home-brewing, held its introductory meeting last night in Houston Hall. According to PEZ President Steve Kronenberg, a College senior, the club is aimed not at the party animal or fraternity party keg-tipper, but at the true connoisseur. "People who home-brew drink beer for its inherent taste, not as a cheap way to get drunk," he said. "Budweiser is the shame of the beer world." Munching on barley and malt grains -- key ingredients to beer -- Kronenberg and PEZ Vice President Alexander Evans, also a College senior, led an open discussion about everything from the joys of bottling to the beverage's historical significance. "There a lot of links between beer and history," Kronenberg told the all-male group of about 25 prospective members. "Why did agriculture start? Because of beer." Evans, who has been brewing with Kronenberg for about one year, said one advantage of home-brewing is that it has made him more knowledgeable about natural sciences. "PEZ is dedicated to the practical applications of fermentation science," Evans said. "Much of the chemistry I've learned [was] through brewing." But most PEZ members said the scientific and historical aspects of brewing were not what brought them to the meeting. "I'm tired of being passive and drinking other people's beer," said College senior Eric Dubinsky. "I want to make my own." Wharton senior Matt Goodman said he came to the meeting because he is considering making beer a more important part of his life. "Brewing beer is a serious career opportunity for me," he said. "I've been more of a taster until this point." Kronenberg, who is also thinking of applying to beer-brewing school when he graduates, said brewing professionally can be very lucrative. "You can make 60 grand working for Anheuser-Busch," he said. "Of course, that means swallowing some pride." Kronenberg added that although PEZ has not yet been recognized by the Student Activities Council, the group plans to petition for SAC funding in order to bring guest speakers from the brewery business to PEZ. He also said PEZ plans to take excursions to area beer distributors. Several PEZ members became loud and rowdy when Evans discussed plans for a field trip to the Home Sweet Home Brewery at 20th and Sansom streets to obtain free beer samples. But according to Kronenberg, not all PEZ members are allowed to taste the samples. "We request that you be of 21 years of age to taste the beer," he said. "But of course, that's your responsibility -- not ours."