Aiming to learn about leadership styles and each other, the United Minorities Council and the African American Studies program each sponsored retreats last weekend. Building on the relationships formed, the UMC executive board will meet today to discuss its goals and potential projects. And these could include a unity week addressing issues that affect students of color. Representatives from the 10 groups comprising the UMC, the group's executive board and Greenfield Intercultural staff members attended the retreat this weekend at the Environmental Education Center in the Poconos. The retreat was planned to last through Sunday but ended Saturday because of rain. Designed to help UMC representatives get to know each other, the retreat included a session in which members discussed the stereotypes associated with each group and how the groups view themselves. "Some of the Asian students voiced their concern about being labeled the model minority and the pressures from inside and outside the minority community" said College senior Liz Melendez, the UMC's chairperson. "Then Latino and black students spoke about how they are programmed to think that they are worthless." While the session became emotional at times, Wharton senior Jenny Ho, the UMC vice chairperson, said she learned more about the UMC as a result of the weekend. "The session made me more aware of the need for groups to interact more," Ho said. "Misperceptions that the different groups had about each other that had always been there but were never spoken about came out at the retreat. [The retreat] served to help us better understand each other." The UMC members also took advantage of their surroundings. Facility staff members organized outdoor team building exercises, including a low ropes and obstacle course in the woods. For College senior Desiree Martinez, president of Six Directions, attending the retreat made her feel optimistic about what the UMC can accomplish. "I really got excited at the retreat," Martinez said. "I met a lot of inspirational people and it was comforting to know that there are people who are in the same situation as you are and know where you're coming from." Representatives from 10 groups within the black community, faculty and administrators travelled to Fellowship Farms in Pottstown, Pa. this weekend for the African American Studies program's eighth annual leadership retreat. With a hectic schedule of activities from 9 a.m. until dinner, the 15 students spoke with faculty and administrators about finding their strengths and weaknesses as leaders and how to balance academics and leadership positions. Staff members from across the university also led role playing exercises to explore the different scenarios a leader might encounter within the separate groups, according to College senior Robyn Kent, president of the Black Student League. After dinner the representatives broke into smaller groups and discussed issues they want addressed this year. "We tried to demystify the unity paradigm that says that all the groups in the black community have to be the same," Kent said. "We should unite, but we shouldn't feel we always have to fight for the same cause. It's important that we should be able to come together and still maintain our separate issues." Participants also said they would ask the administration to cancel classes on Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday.