It was music, dancing and laughter at the Performing Arts Night variety show Friday and Saturday night in the Zellerbach Theatre. In an attempt to familiarize its freshmen target audience with the University's performing arts community, Performing Arts Night featured four-minute skits from almost 30 different student theatre groups. About a third of the performances were by a cappella groups. A packed audience was entertained by everything from the humor of Mask and Wig to the cultural flair of the South Asian Society's dance troupe. The a cappella group Penny Loafers set the theatre on fire with its steamy rendition of Peggy Lee's "Fever." And Bloomers, the University's only all-female collegiate comedy troupe, had the audience in stitches with its bawdy, humorous skit. After each sketch, performers provided the freshman with information about how to audition for their group or join the backstage crew. While many freshman said they are still shopping around for extra-curricular activities and attended Performing Arts Night for the entertainment value, others said the show made them want to jump on stage with the upperclassmen. "I'm checking out all of the groups," said Wharton freshman David Poline, who said he would audition for anything that did not entail singing. "I'm fairly impressed. It's not like anything I've seen in high school." Even those at Performing Arts Night without on-stage ambitions said they enjoyed the show. "I heard this was totally amazing and it is," said Wharton freshman Scott Leiman, who attended the show's closing performance on Saturday. "I knew the school had a lot of talent, but this is amazing." Performing Arts Council Chairperson Rosalie Will, a College senior, said putting on the show was probably as much fun as watching it. "Performers have a great time doing it," she said. "It's one of the few times we get to be in one place at the same time." College sophomore Brett Lovins, a member of the Glee Club, said watching Performing Arts Night last year prompted him to audition for as many groups as he could. "I don't regret it," he said. "It's the best way to do it. And the Glee Club turned out to be a great experience."