Stanley Chodorow, an associate vice chancellor at the University of California at San Diego, will be the University's next provost, President-elect Judith Rodin announced yesterday afternoon. Chodorow, who must be confirmed by the University Board of Trustees before taking office this summer, is associate vice chancellor for academic planning and dean of arts and humanities at UCSD. He is also a noted medieval legal historian. Rodin made her announcement before an assembled crowd of University officials, including many Trustees, at a press conference in Houston Hall's Bodek Lounge. She used the event as an opportunity to set the tone for her new administration. In what Rodin described as her "first -- and most important -- appointment" as president-elect, she said she wanted to send a message to those still doubtful about the future of the University. "[Chodorow's] career and his values have all been driven by his zeal for academic excellence -- in research, in undergraduate teaching, in doctoral and professional education, in faculty development and in community service," she said. "These shared values will be the hallmark of our administration." She also described Chodorow, who will be the top academic officer of the University, as a "great partner," possessing both personal energy and a drive to excel. After the announcement, Rodin said she and Chodorow wanted to focus on two priorities in the first months of their administration: publicizing those University areas which have achieved unparalleled excellence, and then seizing opportunities for change across campus. Rodin said she would like to see the University become known as the visionary institution of the Ivy League, adding that this innovation must be elicited from within the University and not "legislated from the top down." In an address sprinkled with witty one-liners, Chodorow said he is awed and excited by his nomination as provost. He also declared that he had "already conceived a deep affection and regard" for the University. Chodorow said he was attracted to the University by both its academic reputation and a realization that the challenges facing the University are similar to those which he has dealt with at UCSD. He also said he is impressed by the love and dedication people express for the University. "This is an institution on the move with its head going in the right direction, facing the right direction, and with enormous energy," Chodorow said, speaking about how he came to be interested in the provostship. "And then I met Judith Rodin, and she may have found in me a perfect partner, I certainly found in her a perfect boss." Chodorow said he is interested in taking part in the cultural, sports and entertainment opportunities of Philadelphia. An avid sports fan, Chodorow said he will have to give up his season tickets to the San Diego Padres to move to Philadelphia. At UCSD, Chodorow was forced to eliminate prestigious departments and slash budgets after the State of California cut nine percent out of the school's budget last year. Asked if he sees similarities between UCSD's cuts and recent department closings at the University, and whether he will make further cuts at the University, Chodorow said it is not his "style" to cut departments. He said he prefers to find alternate ways of enhancing the educational environment through restructuring. After the press conference, Interim President Claire Fagin, who Rodin will succeed on July 1, said she is delighted by Chodorow's selection. "I think he is just spectacular," she said. "He hit every right note. There was not one missed beat in what he had to say." Chairperson of the University Board of Trustees Alvin Shoemaker, who also attended the press conference, said he believes Chodorow will be a refreshing addition to the University. "I'm thrilled we are going to get a perspective from outside the Ivy League," he said. "We in the East spend too much time talking to each other." Chodorow succeeds Interim Provost Marvin Lazerson, who received high praise for his leadership yesterday from Fagin, Rodin and Chodorow. And Lazerson said he too is happy with Rodin's choice for the next provost. "I am pleased to hand the reigns over to [Chodorow] and I am delighted to hand the job over to a fellow historian," Lazerson said, adding he will be available to assist Chodorow as he makes his transition to the University. Some University officials said they are impressed that Chodorow came off as personable and down-to-earth. "That was the most genuine presentation by a real human being I have seen in a long time and that is wonderful," Assistant to the President Nicholas Constan said. And School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Dean Gregory Farrington said he likes Chodorow's "values, wit and enthusiasm for the University and Philadelphia." Chodorow was selected by a 16-member search committee, chaired by Economics Professor Andrew Postlewaite, after a six-month search. The committee presented a list of finalists to Rodin a few months ago. She then interviewed candidates and deliberated on her selection. Chodorow was hired last Saturday, Rodin said. He is only the second provost to be chosen from outside the University. The last permanent provost, Michael Aiken, left the University last July to become chancellor of the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana.