Members of the University community turned out before spring break to celebrate the accomplishments made by women of color at the seventh annual Women of Color luncheon, held at the Penn Tower Hotel. A committee, chaired by Afi Roberson, administrative assistant at the African-American Resource Center, organized the event, which normally occurs on the first day of March, Women's History Month. The luncheon brought together nearly 500 University students and staff members for what former University Director of Affirmative Action Joann Mitchell characterized as "an extraordinary series of programs" in her opening remarks. Executive Director of the President's Office Linda Hyatt then spoke on behalf of Interim President Claire Fagin, who was in Miami as part of a cross-country trip aimed at raising funds for minority permanence. Hyatt said Fagin hoped to make connections with parents, students and alumni and increase the involvement of minority alumni in University life, in an effort to construct a "more inclusive, resilient and welcoming" community. "The Penn [Fagin] sees now and in the future is as vibrant as the city around us," Hyatt said. She added that the dialogue created by the release of the Commission on Strengthening the Community's preliminary report has been beneficial toward accomplishing Fagin's goal. Acting Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain Cade-McCoullum praised the "value, contributions and potential of women at Penn." She also led the crowd in a chorus of cheers for Mitchell, who now works at Princeton University, for her past work at the University. The afternoon's programming continued after lunch, with Philadelphia Mayor and University alumnus Edward Rendell delivering a city proclamation recognizing the importance of communication and cooperation to develop the leadership skills of women of color. "There has been a lot of progress made, but there is still a lot to be done," Rendell said. "I know without question that we will get there." City Council Member-at-Large Augusta Clark was also on hand to read the Council's commemorative resolution and share in the spirit of the day. "The women being honored ? have truly made a difference," she said. Students and staff members also participated in a forum called "Voices of Color." College senior Juanita Irving discussed the African American experience; Office of International Programs Advisor Julia Lin focused on her Asian heritage; and College senior Mita Sanghavi spoke about the South Asian experience. Assistant Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Livia Soto captured the spirit of the afternoon when she discussed her Hispanic background. "Even though we [Latin Americans] come from 23 countries?we are proud of being multi-racial, multi-ethnic and wholly cultural," she said. Awards were also presented to the University's outstanding women of color -- Vice Chairperson of the University Board of Trustees and Commission Chairperson Gloria Chisum and Director of Business and Financial Services Margaret Smith. Third-year law students Stephanie Gonzalez and Kam Wong were honored for their work in North Philadelphia's Custody Support and Advice Clinic for low income families, which they founded. Irving, Social Work graduate student Tricia Bent, College senior and United Minorities Council Chairperson Jun Bang, College senior and former Editor-in-Chief of The Vision Nicole Brittingham, College senior Tania C