Writer 'shocked' by mayor's comments A Philadelphia Magazine article that will hit the stands Monday has sparked off a controversy between Mayor Ed Rendell and the article's author, who was "shocked and outraged," at sexual innuendos that the mayor allegedly directed at her. In a 24-hour period earlier this year, Philadelphia reporter Lisa DePaulo followed Rendell to New York City and back. During that time the mayor made several comments that have been interpreted as sexually offensive. "[DePaulo] was shocked and outraged by the remarks,"said Philadelphia Executive Editor Elliot Kaplan. The article, which repeatedly refers to Rendell as "America's Mayor", tells of one incident in which Rendell and DePaulo were passing through a metal detector in New York. After DePaulo kept setting the detector off, the mayor said, "Take it off, Lis! Take it all off!" Reflecting on the incident to his driver at the time, Rendell said, "Lis must have a spiked metal bra or something." Several hours later, DePaulo picked up a bag that the mayor had left behind, and Rendell said that he owed her one. He said he would be in the Plaza Hotel later, and told DePaulo that she could "get her favor there." The mayor also told DePaulo "in raw and alliterative terms" that he had heard how she was in bed. Kaplan said DePaulo told the mayor several times that she did not want to have to quote him in the article, and that they were not pertinent to the situation. "This is Ed being Ed," said Kaplan. "This is part of his personality." Rendell has admitted to saying what is quoted in the magazine. "[Rendell] will kid from time to time, with men and women alike," said his spokesperson Kevin Feeley. "He talks in an earthy and salty manner. He never does it with a person that he is not comfortable with. They were both laughing about it, and she was not offended." Feeley added that they have known each otherEfor some time, and that comments of a joking sexual nature were exchanged freely between the two. Feeley said the mayor called DePaulo as soon as he heard how she felt. Rendell asked her if she was offended, and she said no. DePaulo could not be reached for comment yesterday. The article praises Rendell for his ability to be "smooth and to be crude," and asks if it really matters that "America's Mayor is probably more like America than anyone wants to admit."