The College Alumni Society, along with the College of Arts and Sciences and individual donors, has established eight new undergraduate research grants, College Dean Matthew Santirocco said yesterday. The research grants, which will be awarded at the College Alumni Society Prize Ceremony at the end of the semester, will allow funding for research projects developed by undergraduates in the College. The need for research funding can range from housing to plane tickets to lab supplies, Santirocco said. Santirocco added that he encourages all College undergraduates interested in doing research, including freshmen, to apply for the grants. "Students in all disciplines are able to compete," Santirocco said. "The research can be related to nothing or to a specific course that a student is taking." Executive Assistant to the College Dean Kent Peterman said applying for the grants involves working with a mentor of the student's choosing to develop a proposal and budget that projects "reasonable" expenses. To get their projects underway, Santirocco recommends students approach faculty members for support and help. While eight individual funds have been established by donors, Peterman said the money from them will be pooled and probably allow for more than eight grants to be awarded to students. The number of grants available will ultimately depend on the amount of money that research proposals require, he added. "We expect a wide range of dollar amounts," Peterman said. "One student may only need $100 dollars to travel to [Washington,] D.C. to visit the Shakespeare Archives, while another may need much more to purchase research equipment." Santirocco said the University, as a major research institution, must try to make research opportunities available to all undergraduates. "The unique thing about [the University] are the opportunities that undergraduates have to get involved in serious research," said John Sabini, Psychology Department chairperson and chairperson of the grant selection committee. Until now, the only formally established undergraduate research grants have been endowed by the Nassau Fund and the Rose Fund. The two are administered by the Office of the Vice Provost for University Life. Santirocco described these grants as "wonderful, but limited." "The new funds offer more money and are just for the College," he said. With the establishment of the eight new grants, Santirocco said he hopes more will be created to provide added opportunities. "I hope these grants are only the tip of the iceberg," Santirocco said. "I hope there will be a grant for every department someday."