Trustees will vote on other cuts While the dissolution of the American Civilization and Regional Science Departments appears imminent, the fate of the Religious Studies Department remains up in the air. The Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility was unable to decide on School of Arts and Sciences Dean Rosemary Stevens' recommendation to cut the Religious Studies Department, one of three SAS departments she proposed to eliminate in September. Citing a lack of time to review Religious Studies' case before winter break, the committee was unable to determine whether the procedure Stevens used to cut the department was within University guidelines. Without a decision, no recommendation to cut the department will be offered to the University Board of Trustees, who will vote on the other two department cuts Thursday. And because the Trustees are not scheduled to meet again until June, Stevens' office and the Religious Studies Department are going to take advantage of the added time to discuss the matter amongst themselves, SAS Associate Dean Richard Beeman said. "Had the Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility made a decision, we would have gone ahead with a recommendation because our position has not changed," Beeman said. "With this delay, we now have more time for consultation with the department." Beeman said he and other associate deans already met with Religious Studies Chairperson Ann Matter at the end of last week to begin discussing the future of the department and religious studies as a concentration at the University. While Beeman believes this semester's discussions will follow up on what has already been discussed, Matter sees a new direction for the talks. "Last semester, the only thing we discussed was the implementation of [Stevens'] program," Matter said. "What really encourages me is that we are now discussing the teaching of religious studies at the University." Beeman said last week's meeting only involved discussion of ways to continue further talks between the department and the Dean's office, and how to get into a conversation about substance. According to Matter, though, talks centered around establishing a committee to discuss how to make religious instruction as vibrant and successful as possible at the University. Other possibilities, Matter added, include the development of a Religious Studies program and new ways to keep the department together. "The creation of a program will only happen if further consultation decides that it would be viable," Matter said. "But I have heard from Rick Beeman that [not abolishing our department] is a possibility." With the discussions under way, the Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility involvement has been put on the back burner, Beeman said. "What we've told the committee is that with this delay [in the process] we want to further our discussions with the department," he added. Madeleine Joullie, chairperson of the committee, said the committee has no intention to discuss the case of Religious Studies in the future. The committee was initially convened before winter break at the request of the chairpersons of the American Civilization, Regional Science and Religious Studies Departments. It found that no problem existed regarding the procedure used in deciding to close the American Civilization and Regional Science Departments.