Of the ten largest cities in the United States, Philadelphia had the lowest crime rate in the first half of 1993, according to a recent Federal Bureau of Investigation report. Based on the number of reported offenses per 100,000 people, Philadelphia ranks lowest with 2,730, the study shows. Detroit ranks highest among the cities with 5,539, and Dallas was second with 5,193 offenses. The study also indicates that reported crimes in Philadelphia were down almost 20 percent from the first half of 1992. Violent crime was also down 17 percent during the same period. Sergeant Terry Young, Philadelphia Police spokesperson, attributes the study's findings primarily to the department's efforts. "Our coordination and conduct with the community is a model for all large cities," Young said. She added that the drop in the crime rate has a very large effect on the University community. "[The crime rate] is a factor in the University's ability to recruit students," Young said. "It's peace of mind." She went on to stress how important the dropping crime rate is to students when they go off-campus. While the city's crime rate has been dropping for the last couple years, there is no guarantee this will continue, University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich said. "[The reports] are simply trends," he said. "Next year, Philadelphia could be the highest. It could vary significantly." Kuprevich said, however, that he believes the FBI report is good news. "This is a very positive sign for Philadelphia as well as for the University." Despite the dropping crime rate, University Police Sergeant Keith Christian said he thinks students do not take crime as seriously as they should. "Most people don't seem to worry about [crime]," Christian said. "I don't think students are as safe as they should be." Some students disagree. "I don't feel any less safe [here] than I would in New York or Chicago," said Wharton sophomore Robert Aherns. The two cities he mentioned both have higher crime rates than Philadelphia. Other students, though, said they are apprehensive about their safety. "[I worry] a little because we hear so much about crime," Engineering sophomore Cardell Orrin said. "Thinking about it, seeing the news." He said, though, "I probably feel as safe as I would feel anywhere else."