Surfacing from a sea of controversy, the 1993-94 Penn women's swimming team is eager to dive into the new season and drown in its wake the problems of the past. That, however, may be easier said than done. Last spring, all 16 members of the 1992-93 team approached Penn Athletic Director Paul Rubincam and said that if coach Kathy Lawlor-Gilbert were not fired, none of them would return for the 1993-94 season. In the fall with Lawlor-Gilbert still in place, six of those women announced that they would fulfill their vow and not swim for Penn this year. Among those not returning are senior Danielle Pagano, a 1992-93 co-captain, and two school record-holders – sophomore Francesca Pagano (200-yard backstroke) and junior Lauren Lindblad (100-yard breaststroke). The walkout leaves the Quakers with an extremely small and inexperienced squad to undertake the task of improving on last year's disappointing record (1-6 Ivy League, 3-6 overall). The Penn women, however, believe an improved attitude and talented crop of underclassmen will help compensate for the departure of Pagano & Co. "I don't think [the walkout] will affect us much at all," Penn assistant coach Mike Schnur said. "I think it will affect us in a positive way. All 14 of our girls are directed and have good attitudes. They want to do the best they can." "We've come into this season with a little different attitude than last year," sophomore Ali Zegar said. "This year we want to work hard and be successful, but we also want to have a good time." With only two seniors and two juniors remaining on the team, the Quakers will rely heavily on their underclassmen to step up and contribute right away. Zegar, winner of last year's Outstanding Freshman Award, is one of the best and most versatile freestylers in the Ivy League, performing well at every distance from 100 to 1,650 yards. Freshman Gillian Morris, a Junior National qualifier in the 100 and 200 butterfly, could also make an immediate splash. In fact, Penn could get quick help from any one of its four highly-touted freshmen – Morris, Natalie Wolfinger, Emily Montes and Erin Ridge. "We have an excellent freshman class," Schnur said. "We recruited four very good swimmers." "All four of them are good enough that they could place among the top swimmers right away," Zegar said. Among the upperclassmen, senior Eilish Byrne, recipient of last year's Most Improved Award and a veteran breaststroke competitor, will be expected to provide leadership and set a positive example for the younger swimmers. In spite of the Quakers' best efforts, however, the difference in sheer numbers between Penn and its Ivy League opponents will make a dual-meet victory nearly impossible in many cases. "Obviously, depth is going to problem," Zegar said. "We're not going to get the points from the lower positions and its going to be difficult for us to compete with larger, powerhouse schools." In light of the their handicap, the Quakers have adjusted their annual goals accordingly. "From day one, we've been focusing on our meet with Columbia for the first semester and the Easterns for the second semester," Schnur said. "Depth will be a little less of a factor in those meets. We'd particularly like to improve on last year's finish at the Easterns. Since each school can only send 17 swimmers, we'll be almost even." "Every swimmer has their individual goals, also," Zegar said. "Whether it be to do well in the Easterns or improve our times or whatever." Penn will takes its first step toward accomplishing those goals today as it travels to Yale to battle Cornell and the host Elis in a season-opening tri-meet. Yale (13-0 in 1992-93) is a perennial power, led by butterfly specialist Jennifer Renzi. The weaker Big Red (6-4 last year) will rely on all-around star Helen Barfield to carry them. "We have an excellent freshman class, good leadership, and girls who give 100 percent every time out," Schnur said. "We're going to be competitive with some teams. We might even challenge Cornell."