Religious Studies Chairperson Ann Matter gave a speech last week at the Philomathean Society about the future of her department. The speech was given as a reaction to College Dean Rosemary Stevens' proposal calling for the elimination of the Religious Studies, American Civilization and Regional Studies departments by June 1, 1994. "Liberals and intellectuals have generally refused to take religion seriously," said Matter. "There is, however, more to human existence than meets the eye. This is not a message that will be received well from the academic power structures," she added. Matter stressed the importance of her department to the approximately 30 students and faculty members at the lecture. "Religion remains one of the fundamental parts of everyday life," she stated. "You only have to read the newspapers to know about the tragedies occurring in the Middle East," Matter added. Matter said she believes that the University's Religious Studies department is a valuable resource. "The academic study of religion has developed away from sectarian terms," she said. "Religious studies is no longer a small field in the American academic world." Matter spoke on the history of the study of religion at the University before opening up the floor to questions. Most students were curious about the University's reason for closing the department. "They're ill-informed," said Matter. "They're ill-informed because they don't want to be informed." Students said they believed Matter made a strong case for the continuation of the Religious Studies department. "Religion plays such an important role because people have been grappling with it since the beginning of time," said College junior Erik Kuhanta.