Thousands of psychiatrists have changed the date of next May's Commencement. It's not because of widespread job-hunting anxiety. It's because the American Psychiatric Association, 34,000 members strong, has booked 90 percent of Philadelphia's hotel space for Monday, May 16. The invasion of the shrinks has forced the University to move Commencement to Thursday, May 19, instead of holding the traditional exercise on Monday. Terry Conn, executive assistant to the vice provost of University life, said there "may be a few problems, fewer than if we hadn't changed it." "People may have to take two days off their jobs and that may be an inconvenience," she said. The Jewish holiday of Shavuot is also on Monday, May 16, although Conn said it was not the main reason for the change. Conn said the University knew of the lack of hotel space as early as 1991 and changed the date with the approval of Council of Undergraduate Deans. But some students interviewed yesterday said they were generally unaware of the shift from tradition. "I found that out a couple of weeks ago," Wharton and College senior Alan Famer said. "It screwed up my mother's travel plans. She's going to have to take a week off of work." A check of American Airlines revealed skyrocketing costs for family members not staying in Philadelphia over a Saturday night. Using Miami, Fla., as a point of origin, it would cost $970 to leave on Tuesday, May 17 and return on Friday. University tradition has dictated that most visitors arrive at the University on Friday and leave on Sunday – a fare which is only $415. Still, some students seemed relatively unconcerned about an event that is a solid seven months in the future. "I only went to one graduation two years ago and I forgot what day it was on," said College senior Alexander Catalona. He added, however, that he is against any scheduling change which might raise the price of a family visit. Also unaffected by the change is the Sheraton University Hotel. Reservation representative Lisa Hunter said the hotel has been booked for graduation for two months. All 376 rooms have been secured, Hunter said, adding that "No, it doesn't really affect us."