Quaker football had a great turnout on Saturday. And, thanks to about 60 Dental School students, even more fans than expected were present to cheer on the win. The Dental School's Rotaract Club sponsored a program to bring nearly 350 handicapped adults and children into the Franklin Field stands to watch the game. The Rotaract Club is a community service student group that operates under the direction of the Philadelphia Rotary Club. It is the only Rotaract Club in the country based at a dental school. The club, begun in 1991 with 56 charter members, had increased membership to 108 by the end of last year. Those students who assisted with the program received six hours of credit towards the Dental School's mandatory 35-hour social service requirement, which was established three years ago at the school. Members of the Philadelphia Rotary Club were also present to assist with the program and coordinated transportation of the handicapped to the game. Rotary Club member Bill Whalon said names of handicapped persons interested in attending the event were obtained from over 40 area organizations. "A lot of these people would never get out," he said. "It's their only opportunity really to get outside and see a football game. Usually, they're just sitting around and watching TV." For the last 10 years, according to Whalon, the Rotary Club has been sponsoring trips to such sporting events as Quaker football games at Franklin Field and Phillies home games. Dental students handed out boxed lunches to the handicapped, who were watching the game from front row seats. Last year, the handicapped participants were seated on the track behind the end zone. Rotaract Club Secretary Debra Carri said she thinks the service requirement is important for the school. "It's a way to give back to the community – and it's only 35 hours for four years," she said. Anne Glasschroeder, president of the organization, said the football game draws the most student participation of all Rotaract activities held during the year. "I also think they enjoy it the most since it gets them away from doing just dental community service," she said. Blair Schachtel, chairperson of the club's community service committee, said she was very pleased with dental student's turnout. "I thought it was a great success, and the handicapped children really seemed to enjoy it," she said. Other activities scheduled to be sponsored by Rotaract this year include repairing a homeless shelter, participating in clothing drives, assisting at a county fair, and helping at a trip for the handicapped to the Philadelphia Zoo in conjunction with the Philadelphia Rotary. Another major project for the year, according to Glasschroeder, is to raise money to bring two or more professors from a dental school in Poland to learn about dental education in the United States.