Future members of the Greek system were told last night that plenty of food, an abundance of business contacts and much fun awaits them if they join a fraternity. The approximately 100 freshmen and sophomore men were gathered at the Interfraternity Council's introductory meeting to kick off rush. The five-week-long rush process begins Sunday. College junior Rick Thompson, IFC executive vice president for rush, said the goal of the meeting was to explain how the Greek system works before rush starts, instead of waiting until November's bid signing ceremony. IFC President Morris Massel told the students why they should want to join a fraternity. "Penn is a pretty big place," the College senior said. "It may be tough to find a niche here but a fraternity is that type of opportunity." Massel also outlined what he said fraternities provide, not only for brothers, but for the University as a whole. The Alpha Chi Rho brother said the IFC coordinates, among other things, a blood drive on campus and works actively in the community. And the subject of partying, an aspect of Greek life that that attracts many potential rushees, was not ignored. "We are the social center of the University," Massel said, noting that about a third of the University's undergraduates are Greek, making the system the largest social group at the University. But Thompson said the image of fraternities as "Animal Houses" is incorrect. "Fraternities are much more than partying," Thompson said. But, he added, "We stress the motto of 'Work hard, Play hard.'" Thompson also described the dual nature of the rush process. He said students must choose a fraternity to rush but the fraternity must also select who they want. "We pride ourselves in our selectivity," Thompson said. He asked those in attendance to go to as many houses as they could and bring their friends along as well. "There's a house for everyone on campus," he said. "You have to go out and find it." Students said they thought the meeting helped to clear up the mystery of the rush process. "Now I know exactly how the whole Greek system works," said Jeff Volk, a College freshman. "I'm definitely excited about rushing." In the second week of October, another introductory meeting will be held for interested students who missed last night's meeting. No definite date has been set aside yet.