Former President Sheldon Hackney returned to Philadelphia yesterday to receive an honorary degree from Drexel University. And he was in rare form. "How delighted I am to be back in the 'hood," Hackney said as he began the keynote address at Drexel's new student convocation. Presidents and representatives from 24 local colleges and universities, including Interim University President Claire Fagin, also participated in the ceremony. Hackney, who now heads the National Endowment for the Humanities, clearly had the city, if not the University, on his mind. He talked about his work with the West Philadelphia Partnership and the importance of maintaining a good relationship between a university and its community, though he did not mention recent controversies surrounding the University. Hackney, who was introduced as "a man who consistently has distinguished himself as a leader and has earned the respect of his students and his peers," instead concentrated on the role of guilt in a moral and unified society. "We are all guilty. We are guilty for acts of omission more than for acts of commission," he explained. "Using guilt as a guide ? nurtures the ties that bind us together as a single community." Hackney advocated volunteerism among college students and suggested students use their guilt to motivate them to volunteer. "We are all God's children and we are responsible to one another," he said. He also discussed the merits of finding a balance between the "victimhood" of the political left and the "shrill, irresponsible libertarianism" of the right. "In the middle is to be found a sane and moral stance," he said. After the ceremony, Hackney refused to comment on any University issues, saying "that is in my past. I have sworn off commenting on things Penn." "I wish Penn the best," Hackney continued. "I still feel myself a real Pennsylvanian. I miss the DP every morning." Hackney's wife, Lucy, said that even though all their "boxes aren't unpacked yet," she and her husband are happy in their new home. "Sheldon's just really loving it. He's enjoying being the boss," she said. "A university president isn't really the boss ? It's nice not to have to form a committee for everything."