University Police arrested a Philadelphia man last Tuesday for the attempted rape of a University student in her apartment building near 40th and Walnut streets, University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich said last night. Jesse Stroud, of North 37th Street, has been charged in the September 26 incident, which occurred in a common hallway in the building, according to a detective from the Philadelphia Sex Crimes Unit. The detective did not know if Stroud was linked to recent rapes in the area, but he said Philadelphia police are investigating the possibility of a link. A University Police officer saw Stroud, who matched a composite of the rapist, at 37th and Locust streets and arrested him, Kuprevich said. According to University Police Sgt. Larry Salotti, the officer noticed scars on the man's face which matched those from the description of the rapist, whose face was scratched by the victim during the attack. In response to recent violence against women in the University City area, the University's Women's Center is starting self-defense classes October 13. According to Barbara Cassel, the interim director of Victim Support and Special Services, "[Rape] is a major crime which the University community should be made aware of." "In this line of work, rape is a fact of life, unfortunately, crime is a fact of life unfortunately," she said. If a student is raped, the University provides many services to ease the trauma, and help the student through any judicial process. Victim Support, located at the University Police mini-station at 3937 Walnut Street, is a unit of the University Division of Public Safety that focuses on giving survivors of rape, sexual violence and hate violence careful attention, according to a Public Safety brochure. Students who are raped can go to Victim Support to be advised on where to go for proper medical care and immediate counseling. Rape survivors, or survivors of other forms of violent abuse, have several counseling options through Victim Support, including the Thomas Jefferson Hospital Crisis Center, a Student Health Practitioner, University Counseling Service, Penn Women's Center and the Faculty/Staff Assistance Program. Victim Support will also help the student interact with police and the judicial system if the student decides to prosecute. Students are guaranteed confidentiality when they use the services of Victim Support. According to the brochure, services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Students may contact Victim Support by calling 898-4481 during the day, or 898-6600 anytime.