Many University leaders support Interim President Claire Fagin's decision to consider suspending the University's racial harassment speech code. But they are divided as to what, if anything, should replace the controversial code. Some, like Emeritus Finance Professor Morris Mendelson, said they have always been opposed to the speech code. "I think it is high time," Mendelson said about the possibility the code would be eliminated. "I objected to when it was in [University] Council originally. I think it interferes with the free speech that is so essential to this University." Others, like Faculty Senate Chairperson Gerald Porter, believe the current speech code has failed, but that a new system needs to replace it. "We can't legislate civility," Porter, a mathematics professor, said earlier this week. "[But] I think we need to look at all aspects of [the speech code] carefully before we throw anything out." In light of the highly publicized case of Eden Jacobowitz, who was charged with racial harassment last January for calling five black female students "water buffalo," a majority of faculty members now think the speech code has failed and that the system needs to be changed, Porter said. "Speech codes just don't work," he said. "We need to find a way of creating a real community here, rather than legislating it." Mathematics Professor and University Council representative Peter Freyd said he was instrumental in creating the speech codes, but now feels they may be inherently flawed. "We thought we wrote a policy with all sorts of safeguards to prevent what happened from happening," Freyd said yesterday. Freyd said it now appears the speech code suffers from "a genuine logic problem" and may do harm to the very minorities they were designed to protect. Undergraduate Assembly representative Kirsten Bartok thinks the process Fagin has adopted to encourage student input is critical. "This is a great opportunity for an academic institution to discuss [speech codes] on an intellectual level and effectively explore all sides of the issue," said Bartok, a Council Steering Committee member. She said she has "historically" supported unconditional free speech, but she "understands the basis" for the racial harassment speech code. Bartok added that, after talking with Fagin, she thinks the consensus from students on every side of the issue is in favor of suspending the speech code. But UA member Scott Sher said there is no consensus among students on this issue and he doubts one will ever be reached.