University students now have one more student group looking out for them and their First Amendment rights. A group of students, including several Undergraduate Assembly representatives, have formed the First Amendment Task Force. Their aim, according to the group's statement of purpose, is to "insure that students are ... always protected by the rights and principles of the First Amendment." UA member Sarah Manning, a co-founder of the task force, said several incidents last spring, including the controversial "water buffalo" case, raised awareness about free speech on campus. "We think that this issue hasn't been looked at in the past," the College junior said. "There is a serious need for clarification here." College junior Dan Schorr, also a UA representative, said the task force has drafted several proposals and will submit them for UA approval on Sunday. "When students are denied our nation's most basic civil liberties it is the responsibility of the student government to take action," he added. The first proposal calls on Judicial Inquiry Officer-designate Steven Blum to sign a written statement pledging to defend the first amendment rights of students. The Judicial Inquiry Office has been at the center of considerable controversy for its handling of the "water buffalo" incident last spring, a case that gained worldwide attention and drew criticism of the University's judicial system. "We want reassurance before [Blum] takes office," said Schorr. "By his reactions, we'll know what his attitude is." Another proposal requests that all finalists for the position of University president participate in a question-and-answer session with UA members and other concerned students. The meeting would include discussion of a number of issues, including the University's speech code and open expression guidelines. Schorr said that other priorities include monitoring Interim President Claire Fagin's Commission on Strengthening the Community and expanding the group's base to include more and more students. "We've lost alumni money and national respect," he added. "The students must now earn them back."