Riverboat gambling may become a reality on the Delaware River Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets. For years, the bright lights and fast money of Atlantic City's casinos have drawn Philadelphians across the Delaware River in search of a little more excitement than that offered in the City of Brotherly Love. Recently, however, policy-makers and risk-takers alike have been questioning whether to invite the rambling gamblers back home – with riverboat gambling right on this shore of the Delaware. Riverboat gambling, its proponents contend, would be a priceless addition to the city. With its casinos, entertainment and money, it would be a source of funds and fun for Philadelphians. Some, however, assert that to bet on riverboat gambling as a panacea to the city's financial woes would be Russian roulette in its simplest form – a choice that could mean the financial and moral decline of Philadelphia. Already, people all over the city have begun to place their hearts and pocketbooks on the table. Land on the riverside is subject to high prices and speculation. "Riverboat gambling" has found its way into headlines, editorials and articles state-wide. And politicians are taking carefully calibrated stances on an issue that raises both enthusiasm and anger. And in the meantime, no one knows whether gaming will be legalized in the state, when it would happen, or if riverboat gambling could actually become a reality. It's a betting man's dream. · At this point, however, the race for riverboat gambling in Philadelphia has yet to even reach the starting gate. Gov. Robert Casey threatened in November 1991 to veto any bill in favor of riverboat gambling, saying that citizens would spend money in casinos that ought to be spent on the state lottery. But Casey's threat has only served to take the pro-gambling movement underground, where politicians including Mayor Ed Rendell and State Senator Vince Fumo (D-Phila.) continue to pursue the gaming route. And those interested in the issue are wagering that if they keep silent, the issue will take care of itself. "Gambling is a gamble in its own right," Philadelphia gambling expert Marvin Roffman said. "Even though the governor has indicated opposition, we don't know the whole story as to why he opposed. We don't know who the new governor will be." Racetrack owners have also voiced displeasure with the idea of riverboat gambling, fearing that it will take away bettors they have long considered theirs. And recently, U.S. Rep. Tom Foglietta (D-Phila.) issued a strong statement against riverboat gambling, condemning any kind of gambling as a "disease." "[Foglietta] feels very strongly about the issue," said Foglietta's legislative assistant Kevin Brennan. Roffman and many others are waiting until Casey's term ends in January 1995 to bring up any pro-riverboat gambling legislation. However, deals going on around the city would convince any casual spectator that in the eyes of many – and despite any and all opposition – riverboat gambling is a done deal. · Possible casino riverboat sites along the Delaware have been approached by gambling corporations, who are offering high prices for the property. One oft-reported deal in the making is Bally Manufacturing's three-year option on the sheetmetal workers Local 19 on the Delaware River – a deal that could pay $2 million an acre for the riverfront property. And Roffman said Rendell has even tried to interest him in a project where Roffman might own a piece of a casino. Rendell, however, is reluctant to discuss the prospects of a gambling gold mine in Philadelphia, for fear of escalating conjecture to the level of potentially polarizing politics. In the meantime, though, Rendell has constructed a commission to examine the issue – a commission which does not even mention the word "riverboat" in its name. Ted Beitchman, head of the Mayor's Commission on Gambling, says the commission's purpose is "to look into all of the issues that are related to prospective riverboat gambling coming to Philadelphia." Beitchman and the 16-member committee are currently examining all angles of the issue, from the "legislative issues" of pushing the measure through the state legislature to the hotels, restaurants and parking lots that would be necessary to accommodate the casino's anticipated crowds. And if all of this seems like premature planning, there are those who would prefer to label it as foresight. · Rendell's spokesperson Kevin Feeley said the committee is a way to further assess the potential value of riverboat gambling - to avoid, so to say, a blind bet. "[Rendell is] certainly in favor of at least a limited form of riverboat gambling, and now he's seeking input from a variety of sources," Feeley said. "Look, let's take a look at what the experience is on riverboat gambling. If it comes to fruition, let's do it in a way that is both economically beneficial and also done right." Beitchman said the commission, co-chaired by Commonwealth Court Judge James Gardner Collins and former U.S. Attorney Michael Baylson, includes Philadelphians ranging from lawyers and businessmen to religious leaders and union members. And even outside the commission, gambling experts like Roffman have been making their own calculations. "About 30 percent of the people who go to Atlantic City live in Philadelphia," he said. "That means that about a billion dollars a year of the Atlantic City casino win comes from here. And that's a lot of money that could be directed to the problems this city has." Both riverboat enthusiasts and detractors have acknowledged, whether through reluctance or necessity, that the process of bringing gaming to Philadelphia would take time. There is no doubt that casinos, whether large or small, would have a wide range of effects on the city. Among them would be the face of the University itself. Because students frequently trek to Atlantic City to place their bets and bring home some cash, casinos closer to home might change student life. But there are those who don't want to take the plunge into conjecture before the time for questions has come. Associate Vice Provost for University Life Larry Moneta says the University has not taken any position on riverboat gambling coming to Philadelphia – but he did indulge in a little conjecture of his own. "Unless riverboats were right in the Schuylkill right next to Franklin Field - or, for that matter, if it funded the construction of a new baseball stadium next to 30th Street Station, then, there would be the possibility of great implications for the University."