President Sheldon Hackney announced last week that the University will ban bicycle riding from the central areas of campus -- including Locust, Smith and Hamilton walks -- during daytime hours starting in the fall. The restriction, which Hackney and a majority of University Council members voted for in April 1992, will prohibit bicycle riding on the three walks between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. The restriction becomes effective September 1. Instead of riding to class, bicycle riders will be asked to lock their bikes to racks located near campus and continue on foot to their classrooms and offices. Hackney's announcement was the final step in a three-phase process. The initial two phases of the program -- installation of additional bicycle racks and implementation of a bicycle registration program by the University Police -- were completed on March 29, according to the Committee on Safety and Security. "The discussion was really to move [into this third phase] with the introduction of the new bicycle restrictions," said Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson. Morrisson also said it is important that new students know the new bicycle restriction rules when they arrive at the University in September. "I think that my role is to make sure there is an educational effort directed to students during the orientation process next fall," she said. The bicycle issue has been the center of controversy at the University over the past year and Morrisson said that she realizes some students and staff will not agree with the restriction. "We know that bicycle issues are very deeply felt," Morrisson said. "There will be some that do not agree. But we made an attempt to balance the issue and make all members of community feel comfortable." Many students were critical of the plan to ban bikes when it was first announced last year, and some called it a "ridiculous idea." But others said they thought the campus would be a safer place for pedestrians after the ban went into effect.