Hackney: Yes, one always worries about that. I suppose over time whatever damage has been done to the general public will be mended as the image is filled out. What has been happening since this case came to public light in the Wall Street Journal is primarily negative, but in recent days other journalists have begun to think about it and write about it. After this is over and all is sorted out, I think we will have a much more balanced view of Penn and a more favorable view of Penn. DP: Are you concerned about minority admissions? Are you afraid fewer minorities will apply here because they see the coverage? Hackney: Sure, and it's not just minority group members. There are other people who may feel that this is not the right environment for them as well. DP: Is the racial tension at Penn a problem that is endemic to just Penn or is this merely a reflection of a problem in America today? Hackney: It's a national problem and I think it is more visible here because we're an open commmunity and our conflicts are out in the open. DP: Do you think with regards to the black community at Penn that there is a way to bring them into the fold? Hackney: Absolutely, we need to find ways to increase conversation across ethnic and racial lines. I applaud the efforts that I gather [the DP] has been making to do that. I hope you will continue to do those. I will also encourage members of black student organizations, including the BSL, to do that. One of the lessons from this thing that you can draw already is that there is not enough communication between students and groups on campus. DP: At the NEH what will be your philosophy be toward which grants you will be giving out? Hackney: I really haven't thought about it, yet. I need to get there and try to get through the end of the year. DP: What will you recommend to your successor about how to handle the current situation on campus? Hackney: I have talked to [Interim President] Claire Fagin about this. She and I are in total agreement about recent events and how there are being handled. She is very interested in this matter. This will be an issue next year.