President Sheldon Hackney yesterday named University of Michigan Social Work Professor Ira Schwartz to be the next dean of the University's School of Social Work. The announcement comes after a year and a half search to find a replacement for Dean Michael Austin, who left the University in June 1992 for the University of California at Berkeley. Schwartz, an expert in the study of juvenile justice, child welfare and children's mental health, will become dean of the shool on August 1, Hackney said in a statement yesterday. Schwartz has served as director of the Center for the Study of Youth Policy and a professor of social work at the University of Michigan since 1987. "Ira Schwartz will continue the momentum of research, education and service that has made Penn's School of Social Work among the nation's best," Hackney said in a statement. "Beyond his distinguished reputation and credentials, his commitment to active participation in the evolution of the social work profession made him the right person to become dean of the school." Schwartz could not be reached for comment yesterday but said in a statement released by the University that "it will be a privilege" to work at the school. "Penn's School of Social Work has a wonderful reputation both academically and professionally," Schwartz said. "A very strong foundation already exists and I will be able to build upon the strengths and concentrate on developing research capabilities." Provost Michael Aiken said in the statement that he expects Schwartz to build upon the school's existing resources. "He brings with him outstanding qualities of leadership and vision," Aiken said. "We look to him to build on the School's excellent base, taking it to new heights." Peter Vaughan, acting dean of the school of social work, said yesterday he is glad that a dean has been chosen for the school and will return to his former post as associate dean when Schwartz arrives at the University in August. Vaughan said he has never met Schwartz and was not part of the search committee that recommended Schwartz for the deanship, but that he looks forward to working with him. "I look forward to being as helpful to him as I've always been to [other deans]," Vaughan said yesterday. Vaughan added that he was "never a contender" for the deanship. "I chose not to do that," he said. Schwartz was a senior fellow and director of the Center for the Study of Youth Policy in the Hubert Institute of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota from 1981 to 1987. From 1978 to 1981 Schwartz served as administrator of the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquincy Prevention in Washington, D.C. Prior to this, he was executive director of the Washington Council on Crime and Delinquincy in Seatle, Wash. Schwartz has done training and consulting in the areas of juvenile and adult criminal justice for organizations both in the U.S. and abroad. He has also provided consultation to the Ford Foundation, the Lily Endowment, the Kellogg Foundation, the Annie E. Casey Foundation, the Raskob Foundation, the National Center for Youth Law and the Child Welfare League of America. Schwartz has several awards including the Child Advocacy Award of the American Psychological Association.