and JORDANA HORN Undergraduate student leaders remembered President Sheldon Hackney's tenure last night with fondness and called for his replacement to be responsive to the needs of students. Former Undergraduate Assembly Chairperson Jeff Lichtman said last night that Hackney would be recalled by student leaders as an effective and strong compromiser. "He did an admirable job when playing off the many different constituents on campus and the many different sides," said Lichtman, a College senior. "His impact has been more one of trying to appease many different sides on issues than anything." But UA member Eric Leathers said that compromise may be a less than flattering commentary on Hackney's presidency. "I like Dr. Hackney, but as everyone knows, he was given to compromise -- perhaps too much," Leathers said. "Hopefully we can get someone who wants to effect change in student life." Lichtman added that Hackney's work on the University's $1 billion capital campaign would be an effective legacy of stability to future generations of students. Newly-elected Undergraduate Assembly Chairperson Seth Hamalian looked to the future by challenging the University to select a president who would be responsive to the needs of a diverse campus. "I would want to see a president who is ready to tackle the issues of race relations here on this campus, of increasing enrollment of a variety of people on ethnic and economic lines by maintaining need-blind admissions," Hamalian said. "And to insure that this university continues to draw from the talented, not just from the rich and elite." Leaders also stressed the importance of including undergraduate opinions on the presidential selection committee. Hamalian said UA leaders will be on campus during the summer months in order to be included in the decision-making process. Jonathan Pitt, chairperson of the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education, said he hopes the University will especially focus on the candidate's educational commitments. "I have a sincere hope that in selecting a new president that the Trustees take into account student input and that they look for someone who will better the cause of education at Penn," said Pitt, a College junior. Former SCUE Chairperson Hallie Levin said she feels Hackney has been receptive to students' needs. "I know that the University has improved over his presidency in terms of the quality of education and the quality of the student body," Levin said. "And that kind of momentum and energy will definitely be Hackney legacies." Leaders also said the new president needs to understand students' growing worries over social issues. "It's very important that Penn students continue to have a social life on campus, and get someone who respects the fact that Penn students don't only study," UA Vice Chairperson Scott Sher said. And Interfraternity Council President Morris Massel said he thinks Hackney has set an example that future presidents should follow. "We're going to miss him and I hope that whoever comes to follow in his place is able to lead the University as well as he has and as fairly as he has," the College junior said.