Newly-elected Faculty Senate members will take their positions for the 1993-94 academic year at the end of April. Nursing Professor Barbara Lowery will succeed Mathematics Professor Gerald Porter as Faculty Senate Chairperson-elect. He will become the next chairperson. Lowery said she is looking forward to serving the Faculty Senate, but she does not think she is taking on an extraordinary job. "It's more a sense of civic duty," she said. "It's a responsibility." Lowery said she plans to vigorously pursue new policies and ideas. "I think during the time I'm a part of the leadership we will take up the issue of [whether or not the Faculty Senate should continue to participate in] the University Council," Lowery said. "We'll have to look at the budget issues too. We're looking at the potential cutbacks." The Faculty Senate and its chairpersons are largely responsible for interviewing prospective administrators, and in this case will try to help ease the unusual problems that have been created by the loss of many top administrators. "We'll have to work on the transition," Lowery said. "We'll be helping to educate the new folks." Current Faculty Senate Chairperson and Statistics Professor David Hildebrand said that he has confidence in Lowery. "I'm sure she'll do fine," Hildebrand said last week. "To run for the position, you have to be dedicated." The chairpersonship of the Faculty Senate is composed of three people -- the chairperson-elect, the chairperson and the past-chairperson. Lowery will be chairperson-elect beginning in April and will be chairperson and past-chairperson after that.