Despite common student perceptions of University City simply as a crime-ridden area that borders the University, University City is a diverse place with much to offer its residents. And that's what representatives from all aspects of University City came out to show to current residents and people looking to move into the neighborhood at the annual University City Saturday, which was held this weekend at the Penn Childrens' Center. Along with representatives from area day care centers, cultural groups and restaurants, another highlight of the day was the showing of 60 homes that are for sale in the University City area. According to Patrick Starr, chairman of the University City Promotions Group, the day started out successful with more than 100 people through the doors in the first half an hour. "There are a variety of people here," said Linda Blythe of the Spruce Hill Association. "Some just want to see what the area has to offer, others are looking to move to the neighborhood." Starr added that he thinks University students can benefit from what University City has to offer. "We want to dispel the idea that this is not a safe neighborhood," Starr said. "As a [University alumnus] I wish that the students of Penn could appreciate this neighborhood." One of the groups present at the center was Penn Faculty and Staff for Neigborhood Issues. "There is an incredible number of Penn faculty and staff that live in this area," said Yvonne Paterson of PFSNI. She added that her organization is trying to draw attention to the area and make it a desirable for people to live in. "If there is a sudden flight of all the people who live in this area to the suburbs, it is going to be very detrimental to the University as a whole," Paterson said. "One thing that is interesting," Starr said, "is that while there is this tension between the students and the neighborhood, a lot of us came here because of a connection with Penn. The connections are innumerable." Many University faculty and staff who helped to plan the day were present at the Children's Center. "There's a tremendous enthusiasm here," said Ira Harkavy, vice dean of the School of Arts and Sciences. "It's great for University City and great for the University." Harkavy added that he was pleased to see such a good number of neighborhood faculty and staff present at the event. "This represents a model city, all different neighborhoods coming together," he said. Glenn Bryan, director of community relations at the University, said his office was directly involved in organizing the day. "It's important for all community organizations to get together and support this area," Bryan said. "We will continue to support this effort and area." "I'm amazed at the turnout," said Valleri Brandes, a Wharton senior and University City Hospitality Corps volunteer. "We're here today to make our name more familiar in the community." Carol Burden, coordinator of social activites for PFSNI, said that a reception will be held for all University faculty and staff who live in University City later this spring. Overall, Starr said, the day was a success. "Penn students don't understand urban living," Starr said. "They look at our neighborhood and are scared by it. I think Penn students could benefit from the community aspect and learn how exciting this community is."