A Sussex University researcher who focuses on cultural materialism delivered the second lecture in this year's Gates Lecture Series on Friday at Van Pelt Library. A mixed audience of about 40 graduate students and faculty members listened intently as Alan Sinfield discussed "Art as Cultural Materialism." Sinfield began his lecture by outlining the origins of cultural materialism, a development he traces to the Second World War. Sinfield then described the ways is which art has been and still is utilized in manners besides that of aesthetic appeal. Literature has several peculiarities associated with it, Sinfield said. Associating literature with "patriarchy, nation and empire" is one such use, he said. "Shakespeare's works are widely deployed in political arenas as 'Britishness,' " Sinfield said. This was not always the case. In the 19th century, art was "gendered as feminine," considered by the businessmen of that era as "proper for wives and daughters," Sinfield added. Sinfield cited T.S. Eliot's personal experiences as illustrative of this phenomena. Eliot, Sinfield told the audience, was "called a sissy by neighborhood kids and a 'Miss Nanny' by his father" because of his love of writing. Sinfield's audience was excited at the chance to discuss cultural materialism with a renowned member of the field. "This is the last word on what is happening that has to do with interdisciplanary work," Romance Languages Professor Jorge Salessi said. "It will and does make people uncomfortable because it is cutting edge." "I think Alan Sinfield's work is wonderful. Alan is a really important voice, and a founder in the field of cultural studies," graduate student Amy Robinson said. The final two lectures will be given today in the sixth floor of Van Pelt. The first will deal with the post-war movement in the United States, and will begin at 5:30. The second lecture on sub-cultural reading starts at 8:30.