The U.S. Air Force recently released an initial draft of an environmental impact statement assessing the likely effects of building the Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University. The proposed construction of the IAST has been a source of controversy on campus in recent years but the report states that the building will have only a slight adverse effect on the University and its surroundings. The purpose of this draft was for "review and comment" from the University and Philadelphia community. The final draft is not scheduled for release until the end of the summer, according to Air Force spokesperson Jane Knowlton. An open forum will be held March 30 to discuss the findings. Students expressed concerns because the University plans to raze the historic Smith Hall which currently stands on the proposed IAST site. "It's not easy to tear down an old building with tradition," said Vice Provost Barry Cooperman, who was involved in the planning of the project and was the principal investigator of the proposal that went to the Air Force. "But we need to continue to reinvent the University with first-class facilities for students and faculties." Concerns have also been raised about environmental issues, including the ways that on-site labs would dispose of hazardous waste. The draft reports that the IAST will have little impact on the University community in these areas of concern. There will be a "minor change" in the geology of the area, a "minor" increase in water demand which "will have no impact on local supply," "limited" ground disturbances, and "no loss of native vegetation," the draft states. The construction of the building seems as though it will cause the most problems -- with increased noise, temporary pollution, and the mandatory removal of asbestos and lead paint, according to the report. The government commissioned the report because of the large number of federal dollars being appropriated for the building -- an estimated $75 million. And in order to make the final decisions on the Smith Hall site, the Air Force needs to know the full impact the construction will have. Both Cooperman and Assistant Vice President for Policy Planning David Morse, who has also been involved in the project, said they are waiting to see the response to the draft at the open forum. "Certainly there is a small group that feels the IAST should not be built or not be built on Smith Hall," Morse said. "I am sure we will hear from this group [at the forum on March 30]." "It seems to me the statement addresses all the major issues brought up during the scoping session," Cooperman added. "I've been optimistic all along. It is the proper building to build and the proper location. I think we will see [the critics' opinions] on the 30th."