A sparsely attended follow-up lecture on the Freshman Reading Program attracted none of this year's freshmen participants, and drew only a handful of graduate students. "I wish it were better attended," said English graduate student Crystal Lucky. "The first-year students who attended the initial discussions could have brought their insight." Director of Academic Programs Christopher Dennis explained that leaflets advertising the lecture were not well distributed due to last weekend's blizzard. Wednesday night's turnout appeared to some to be a microcosm of the Reading Program's progress and its ability to attract student interest. "This year has been a mixed picture," said Dennis. "Those that have engaged in the text have come away with a rewarding experience." He added that everyone affliated with the program has concerns about the turnout. "It requires a herculean effort to get all 2,400 freshmen to attend the discussions," Dennis said. The subject of next year's Reading Program has already been decided and should soon be released, Dennis said. Aside from the low turnout, Wednesday night's program was seen as enlightening. Barnard English professor Robert O'Meally spoke about the Narrative of the life of Fredrick Douglass, the book sent to all incoming University freshmen last summer. He highlighted the overall historical significance of the text. "Douglass' history bespeaks our nation's ideals," O'Meally said. "Nobody tried to sabotage the Mayflower. Nobody was chasing Daniel Boone." "[The lecture was] illuminating and important," said English graduate student Michele Frank. "Douglass' writing functioned as a key work for the African American community. The lecturers opened up a new way of thinking about it." The lecture lasted just over two hours, encompassing Douglass' further biographical works, My Bondage and My Freedom and The Life and Times of Fredrick Douglass. The lecture was one of a number of follow-up programs to the Penn Reading Project, according to Dennis. The University sponsored a bus trip to Douglass' house attended by approximately 35 students and the annual "Souls of DuBois Conference" planned for this Saturday will feature a slideshow on Douglass.