Free electronic mail accounts will be offered to approximately 2,500 College students on a "first-come, first-serve basis" in about two weeks, a University official said last night. Katie McGee, director of technology and integration services for the School of Arts and Sciences, said the remainder of College students should be able to get accounts in September. Those students who receive accounts should be able to use their e-mail by mid-March, she said. She said that only a portion of students will receive e-mail immediately because the system must undergo a trial period. Currently, Engineering and Wharton students have e-mail accounts. McGee said she has been working since the new computer system was installed last October on ways in which to log all of the University's students onto e-mail. Electronic mail is an electronic communications network which allows its account holders to write to other holders anywhere in the world and read up on current news and other information. The University e-mail system will be accessible through any personal computer and can be used to communicate with account holders inside and outside the University, McGee said. "We're very excited because we believe that electronic mail will open up a whole new means of communication," McGee added. "It's the first in a phase of electronic services that we hope will enhance the educational experience." McGee said the University will soon place ads in The Daily Pennsylvanian telling students how they can sign up for accounts. College junior Jennifer Dozio, who is a member of the Dean's Advisory Board which worked with McGee to "find ways to bring e-mail to the students" and develop "support systems," praised the University's move. "It will certainly improve communication in the College and the faculty," Dozio said. "It's a good chance for the University to be unified through emotional and technological connections." She also praised the efficiency of e-mail. "Something like e-mail is faster and safer than mailing something," she said, adding that students should learn to adapt to this new technology because "it's the world we're going to live in professionally and academically." Nursing doctoral student Allen Orsi, who is also chair of the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly, also praised the benefits of e-mail. "It's environmentally sound because we don't generate any paper and it's more efficient," Orsi said. Orsi said he frequently makes use of the system for academic information. "From a research standpoint, you can contact other students doing research in the same field," Orsi added. "It's the way of the world if you're going to be in academia." A number of Wharton and Engineering students who already have access to accounts said they use it religiously. "I spend an hour every day talking to friends. It saves time, money and it's very convenient," said Wharton sophomore Anastasia Cheung, who added she also uses e-mail to keep up with news of her home in Hong Kong. But College sophomore Aaron Hillmann complained about the long wait for e-mail that College students have endured. "If Wharton and Engineering students could get it, it doesn't make sense that we should have to wait so long in getting the privileges," he said. "A lot of my friends at other schools always talk to each other on e-mail, and I'm the loner with the big phone bills who always has to write everybody," said College freshman Maggie Hansing. But many College students said they knew nothing about e-mail and its functions and are uninterested in getting an account. "I probably wouldn't use it," College junior Michael Friedman said. "I prefer the phone and writing letters. The computer seems kind of impersonal." No H&J; required. Do not bother inserting ! -- Michael ' It will certainly improve communication in the College and the faculty. ' Jennifer Dozio Dean's Advisory Board member (CUT LINE) Please see E-MAIL, page 2 E-MAIL, from page 1