Many think that after four years and $100,000 they have paid their dues to the University. But as the student callers who have been volunteering for the Penn Fund for the last six days reminded alumni, they are not off the hook yet. The Penn Fund consists of unrestricted annual gifts given by alumni to the University. The University uses this money wherever it is most needed, often helping to provide financial aid, campus maintenance, innovative teaching support and enhancements to student life. The Penn Fund solicits money from undergraduate alumni with a past history of annual giving twice a year -- once in the fall when other alumni call, and once in the spring when students make the calls, Penn Fund Officer Wendy Larossa said yesterday. "We call everybody from the class of '92 all the way back to the class of '31 with the exception of reunion classes," Larossa said. She said that during the six days of student calling, which concluded yesterday, students averaged over 3,000 calls a night and often spoke with over 1,000 alumni. The Penn Fund received over $160,000 in donations during the six day phonathon, Larossa said. The yearly goal for annual giving is $300,000. This money is counted toward the University's $1 billion capital fund campaign, but is only used for unrestricted purposes, she added. "We try to start off by asking for either 25 or 50 percent more than the person gave the year before," Larossa said. "We work our way down from there. The usual donations range from $25 to several hundred dollars." She added that the totals per night ranged from $15,000 to $53,000. She also said that 1954 Wharton alumnus Leonard Lauder had set up a program called "The Young Alumni Challenge" and has agreed to match every donation given by those who have graduated in the past decade with a $25 gift of his own. He has also agreed to match every donation over the $300,000 goal dollar for dollar. Student callers consist of 30 to 40 volunteers each night, Larossa said. They come from fraternities, sororities and campus organizations which Larossa asks to donate time to the Penn Fund, Larossa said. In exchange for their time, callers receive a free dinner at the Faculty Club and the top callers each night receive prizes donated by local businesses. There is a grand prize for the top caller overall and the top three organizations receive $100 each. Most student callers last night said they enjoyed working for the Penn Fund, although alumni were occassionally rude to them on the phone. "I think it's fun to call people," College freshman Lindsey Kaser. "I like selling things and I like trying to get people to give money." Kaser said most alumni were receptive but one said that he had "given too much to this damn school already." Many said they think their work helps their organizations and the University. "I think the Penn Fund is a great idea for having the Greeks come together to keep alumni involved in supporting the University," College freshman Pamela Bierman said. Other callers said they were frustrated by the number of alumni they were unable to reach. "It's kind of disappointing," College freshman Greg Buck said. "This is more time-consuming than exciting." Larossa said that the final totals for the spring phonathon will be available within the next few days.