Despite a large increase in serious crimes from 1991 to 1992, University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich yesterday defended the $500,000 increase in his department's budget for fiscal year 1993. The statistics showed that last year's part one crimes against persons -- murders, rapes, robberies and assaults -- were nearly double those of 1991. Kuprevich said the additional funding has been earmarked for hiring more officers, training existing officers, increasing the bicycle patrol, providing preventive crime initiatives and beginning new programs at the University. The University's operating budget for the current fiscal year states that "the amount of resources devoted to public safety initiatives has grown faster than any other component of the budget in recent years." According to the budget, these funds have been used to expand the size of the University Police force and to improve the security of campus spaces through improved exterior lighting and other measures. Kuprevich said the University Police force has doubled in the past four years, adding that officers have expanded their coverage. "The department struck out more clearly, at the request of the community, and responded to incidents in the local community as well as on campus," he said. "This was not a clear mandate in the past." Since 1988, though, according to statistics released by University Police, total crimes against persons and against property on campus have risen by 214 incidents, from 1,229 to 1,433. "All we know is that we're trying," Kuprevich said. Acting Executive Vice President John Gould said last night that the University is very concerned about the safety of students. He added that the University is committed to increasing the budget again for University Police for the next fiscal year, while most departments are being asked to cut 15 percent from their budgets over the next five years. "We are all aware of the increasing security problem in West Philadelphia," Gould said. "When you look at all [University Police] is accomplishing, it's money well spent." Gould said it is impossible to quantify the crime that does not happen because of police patrols. "When they're effective, you won't see what they do," Gould said. "So much of their work is avoidance and prevention for which you can't keep statistics." Among Kuprevich's new programs are officer training programs in diversity issues and in handling sexual violence as well as the "Penn for a Safer City" campaign. Kuprevich said his future initiatives include computerizing building access systems and providing University buildings with electronic locks. "[The administration] knew we needed enough money to have sufficient cops to guarantee a safe environment," Kuprevich said. "We're trying to increase the level of security and be cost effective at the same time." Kuprevich also said the increase in reported crime on campus may be attributable to the increased size of the police force. He said that as more police officers are hired, more people will report crime because officers are able to be more responsive. Gould said safety has to be looked at in perspective. "Suppose we hadn't doubled the police force, then what would we be looking at now?" Gould said.