Sex, alcohol, jazz and murder fill the stage of the Annenberg School Theatre as the Law School Light Opera Company presents the musical Chicago, which opens tonight. "Chicago is a send-up of lawyers, set in 1920s Chicago," said Laurel Southworth, producer and third-year Law student. "A woman kills her lover because he walks out on her. She thinks that she will get a lot of publicity and will be let off easily." The musical takes off from this point as Roxie, the woman who kills her lover, is sent to jail to await trial. In jail, she meets an array of other murderesses with whom she must compete for the attention of the press. Roxie, played by third-year Law student Beth Zeiger, hopes that the publicity will increase her chances for a vaudeville career. Aided by her conniving lawyer, played by second-year Law student Adam Gibbons, Roxie attempts to manipulate public opinion and, more importantly, make a name for herself. She is described as "the ultimate publicity monger." Backed by a talented orchestra, the 21-member cast energetically revives the era of the "Roaring Twenties" while presenting its audience with the timeless themes of greed and corruption. Through song and dance the company makes a poignant statement about the American criminal justice system and the influence of the press. Chicago, directed by third-year Law student Michael Richter, humorously exposes the hypocrisy of the law and the vanity of human nature. Highlights of the show include the song of the "six merry mistresses" and a humorous musical press conference. Chicago appeared on Broadway in the the 1970s in a production by Bob Fosse and is rumored to be considering a possible comeback. Tickets for Chicago are available for $5 for Thursday night's performance and for $7 for Friday and Saturday night's shows. They can be purchased at the Law School or at the door the night of the show.