President Sheldon Hackney is on a short list of candidates to head the National Endowment for the Humanities that is currently being considered by the White House, a Washington-based humanities lobbyist said yesterday. John Hammer, director of the National Humanities Alliance, an umbrella organization for humanities groups that lobbies Congress, said Hackney is one of "at least three" candidates under consideration by the Clinton administration. He said he has heard the appointment will be made by the end of the week, but the White House would not comment yesterday on the list of candidates or say when the announcement will be made. Hammer said his organization does not endorse NEH candidates, but last week called Hackney a "very strong candidate." "[Hackney] has a scholarly record of distinction and a good record of success," Hammer said. "He has shown an interest in the public aspect of the humanities." Hammer said that, according to Washington rumors, the White House is hoping to announce the appointments of chairpersons for the National Endowments for the Arts, Museum Services and the NEH at the same time later this week. But Hackney appeared clueless about the Washington possibility last night and said he has not been contacted by the White House regarding a possible appointment to the NEH. He said he has only heard the same rumors everyone else has. "It's really a curious process," he said. The NEH -- the largest single supporter of the humanities -- has an annual agency budget of more than $177 million.