Students learned firsthand that AIDS can be contracted by anyone. "AIDS can hit anyone of any education level, age, sexual orientation -- it doesn't matter," Joel Goldman, former executive assistant director of Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity, told about 80 students in McClelland Hall Tuesday night. "Last summer I found out that I was HIV positive," he said. "I didn't believe it. I thought it was a dream. I kept thinking I would wake up." Goldman went on to relate the ordeals that he went through while informing his family and friends. His best friend, T.J. Sullivan of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, remembers the phone call well. "I tried to be strong," Sullivan said. "I cried. I knew that in ten years he might not be here." Goldman said that he had been "promiscuous" and had probably caught AIDS from a woman with whom he had sex. Sullivan said that once Goldman had gotten over the initial trauma, they decided to take their knowledge on the road and educate college students and fraternity and sorority members across the country. Goldman said the program was an attempt "to establish a rapport with the students, and to find out what students need to know" about HIV and AIDS. Sullivan said that there is a tremendous lack of information and knowledge on the subject, even among those who have contracted the virus. The group was visibly moved when Sullivan told them that only 25 percent of those who are HIV positive are aware of their infection. Sullivan and Goldman also spoke about ways to protect against AIDS, but warned their listeners against believing in the absolute integrity of any method, except for abstinence. "Even blood that has been screened has a one in ten thousand chance of being infected," Sullivan said. "By the year 2000 one in ten Americans will be HIV positive," Sullivan said. "[This means that] almost everyone in the room will know someone who has contracted HIV." After two hours of listening to the interactive AIDS education seminar, students had mixed feelings. "Although I didn't learn anything, it was the first time I had ever met someone with AIDS," College sophomore Keith Amen said. The program was sponsored by the Greek Social Action Committee.