When world-renowned gene therapy researcher James Wilson arrives in March to head the University's newly formed gene therapy institute, he will have more than curing genetic diseases on his agenda. Along with the technology of gene therapy come ethical concerns which will require serious discussion inside and outside the medical community. "We hope to begin discussions and put together a format in which we can address and discuss all the various ethical and legal issues that go along with these new technologies," Wilson said last week. "It will be a good opportunity to intellectually discuss the implications of what we do beyond the clinical applications." Gene therapy involves replacing defective genes in humans, thereby altering the course of disease. The modified genes are inserted in somatic cells, which means that an individual does not pass altered genes on to future generations. Critics of gene research are concerned that the technology developed could be used in unanticipated ways and are concerned that the technology will be too expensive to be widely applied. Wilson said he will begin coordinating discussions when he arrives in March. "We'll have a large committee with representatives from various different constituencies, including probably the community, where we will have an opportunity to discuss and air some of the issues that go along with this," he said. Arthur Asbury, the Medical School's vice dean for research, said he agrees that the ethical aspects of the research need to be considered. "Any time we try to intervene in human diseases there are problems that arise that are of an ethical nature," Asbury said. "Are there dangers to others? Are there any other dangers that we haven't thought of that we need to consider? [Wilson] is talking about bringing together boards or panels to consider some of the implications of the work from a social and ethical point of view," he added. Wilson and Asbury said the panels would likely include community leaders, members of the clergy and experts in law.