Drexel University students can now sleep easier -- and later -- because of the resolution of a contract dispute between Drexel and Teamsters Local 115. The 14-week strike, characterized by 24-hour picketing and the Teamsters' blasting music, was settled December 19, after a 22-hour bargaining session. Jerry Schene, a Teamsters' spokesperson, said yesterday that the contract was a victory for the union. "We basically wanted parity with the operating engineers," said Schene. "Since the university could give them a raise, it was necessary for our union to be treated equally." Under the terms of the settlement, the 50 Drexel maintenance workers represented by the Teamsters will receive pay increases of about 70 cents an hour for three years beginning in 1994. They will also each have the opportunity to make $1,125 in overtime pay until June. David Noyes, Drexel's director of facilities management, said in a statement that he considers the settlement a success for the Drexel negotiating team. "We are pleased with the agreement," Noyes said. "We were able to maintain the wage freeze in the first year." Schene pointed out that the wage freeze would not be necessary if the administration would cut Drexel President Richard Breslin's salary and official perks. "He gets a $50,000 car and a driver, a $570,000 house in Rosemont, and over $200,000 in salary," said Schene. "Then they tell us that there's no money for raises. It's obvious where it has gone." But Noyes maintains that Drexel really does have financial problems. "To match the union's demands would cost more than $2.5 million this year alone," Noyes said. "Local 115 must recognize that [it is] not a select group which should receive a wage increase at the expense of the rest of the university." The Drexel custodians' contract expires next month and Schene said he is not sure what position Drexel will take in the negotiations. "Let's hope they've learned from this strike that the union is prepared to fight," said Schene. "I hope that this won't happen next month."