The second-highest ranking University Police official left the University last week to "pursue a career opportunity." John Logan, the director of public services, released a brief, undetailed statement through Police Commissioner John Kuprevich, outlining his experience on the police force and detailing his responsibilities at the University. Logan could not be reached for comment yesterday. Kuprevich said Logan informed the department of his plans "a week or two before [his departure]." But Kuprevich declined to comment on whether or not Logan's resignation was expected. Logan's 10-year tenure at the University did not pass without event. In 1987, Logan was the target of criticism for violating the Open Expression Guidelines at the University and was passed over for the commissioner's job in 1990 by then-Senior Vice President Marna Whittington. In 1987, a report from the Open Expression Committee questioned the integrity of Logan and former Senior Vice President Helen O'Bannon after students were photographed at an April 1985 demonstration. The report stated that Logan ordered photographic surveillance of an animal rights demonstration in order to identify students connected with a laboratory break-in. The report said Logan later lied about his involvement. Logan remained the director of Public Safety until 1990, when Whittington chose Kuprevich to head the department. She used a 1988 University-commissioned security report as basis for the change. The 1988 report outlined ways to improve the department and recommended adding a new administrator to relieve Logan of some of his day-to-day responsibilities so he could pursue long-range planning. Whittington added the new position as recommended by the report, but placed the new commissioner over Logan. Logan was given the new title of Director of Police Services and continued to manage the day-to-day operations of the deparment. Kuprevich, Sergeant Ivan Kimble and several officers around campus yesterday said they knew little about the resignation. The officers refused to comment on Logan's character or work performance. Logan had been at the University since 1982. His police career at the University was preceeded by 28 years with the Philadelphia Police Department. Logan was appointed Director of Public Safety in 1983.