Without A Net, Penn's improvisational comedy troupe, is ready and rarin' to go with their winter show, "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Schtick." Led by director and College senior Larry Wagner, the troupe ran through six of the 100 improvisational games that they may perform this weekend. The games involve the incorporation of audience suggestions into pre-set frameworks. For instance, in the game called "Musical," an audience member shouts out a verb which becomes the title of a musical. The members must then improvise a story line and when the pianist begins playing a song, one member breaks into a spontaneous solo. "It's going to be a great show," College senior Dave Rosenman predicted. "I'd really like to see everyone come out . . . particularly those of you who are reading this at Dining Service." The excitement of all 11 members was obvious as they rehearsed for the show last night. "Nietzsche," said pianist John Hedges, "said music was the highest of all arts. "But then again, Nietzche wasn't a very funny guy," the College junior added. And the jokes keep coming, always with apparent ease. But it is not always easy. "It definitely takes a lot more energy than I thought," admitted one of the group's newest members, College senior Matt Bastian. College sophomore Andrea Kemp agreed, commenting that "improv is one of the hardest types of theater, but it is also one of the most empowering. It really sets you free." Asked for an exact definition of improvisation, Wagner said, "Improv is fooling the audience into thinking that they're smart because when they give us something -- suggestions, that is -- we throw it back at them and they think we're amazing." While it is often entertaining for the audience, members of Without A Net say they find the performance equally enjoying. Publicist Tyler Phillips, who is called the "propagandist" by fellow performers, called his membership in the group a great learning experience. "I've learned more from Net than from the rest of my life -- and everyone who comes to the show will too," the Engineering junior added. Wharton senior Tony Angeles had a much more sentimental opinion. "When I see that twinkle in the eye of an audience member, that's their gift to me," Angeles said. "And then I smile back and that's my gift to them." Angeles warned audience members not to "get excited" if he smiles a them because "sometimes it's gas." Without A Net will combine all of Angeles' sentimentality with a whole lot of comedy Friday, January 29 and Saturday, January 30 at 8 p.m. The troupe will be joined by special guests Purple Crown of Yale University, the University of Maryland's Erasable Inc. and Skidmore College's Adliberal Artists. The show will also include cameo appearances by the University's own Penny Loafers and Counterparts. Tickets are $5 and will be sold at the door. The price is well worth it, because the show promises not to be "bad comedy." "Bad comedy," reminds College senior Gideon Evans, "is like the yellowish liquid on the surface of a Dannon yogurt. Most people tolerate it, but deep down most would rather go straight to the tangy flavor which Without A Net will provide this weekend."