University City community members made a special New Year's resolution to clean up their neighborhoods and streets by creating the University City Special Services District. The district, which is modeled after a similar district in Center City, will concentrate on a permanent sidewalk sweeping project to clean up the community. Barry Grossbach, district board member, said that unlike the Center City District, which raises money through a tax on area businesses, the University City district's only source of funding is voluntary donations. Although the campus is technically not part of the district, Associate Treasurer Christopher Mason said that the University has become involved through University City Associates, the University's real estate management company. Mason did to say exactly how much money the University is contributing to the project, but he said "the University tries to provide support for the district." Grossbach said the University City project is attracting many businesses, but said that the "the main source of funding" has come from area residents. The project's current treasury holds approximately $115,000 -- only half of what is needed for a full year project, Grossbach said. Until further funds can be raised, he said, the district will go ahead and begin the cleaning with a smaller crew. Grossbach said the district needs $350,000 to fund a full-year project and is planning to start in January on a smaller scale, adding that the project can "hopefully attract more donors." So far, Burger King, University Nautilus, Campus Appartments and many other local businesses have already contributed, according to Grossbach. Burger King, one of the project's major contributors, has donated $2,000, he said. "It has come down to people taking care of their own community," Burger King owner John Acuff said. "One person or one company can't do it themselves, we need total involvment." Bob Stern, manager of University Nautilus, said, "Not only have we given $1,250, but also a lot of time and services encouraging other businesses to get involved." Stickers declaring that an establishment is participating in the project will be displayed in the windows of businesses. Project organizers hope that the University City district will achieve some of the same results as the one in Center City, where businesses have benefited from safer and cleaner streets since the district was created in 1990. Paul Levy, executive director of the Center City District, said that Center City has seen a "dramatic change," including a 15 percent drop in crime and a large increase in sales since the district's creation. Grossbach said he has high expectations for the University City project and hopes that the district will "have a ripple effect." "This project is unique because it is volunteer-based and is sparking interest around the country," he said. According to the district board, University City is the area "adjacent to the University". The boundaries are not strictly defined and all members of north and west Philadelphia are eligible to become active in the project.