Just as a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down-the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is betting that video games will make hospital procedures less frightening. Nintendo of America, Inc. and the Starlight Foundation International have donated four Nintendo Fun Centers to CHOP, one of five Philadelphia hospitals to receive the gift. The Starlight Foundation is a non-profit organization that grants the wishes of critically or terminally ill children. The brightly decorated purple and green Fun Centers consist of a video monitor, a VCR, the Super Nintendo Entertainment system and about a dozen movies and games. All the components are mounted on an L-shaped, mobile stand that allows the system to be easily maneuvered around the hospital and can fit over a child's bed. The design enables non-ambulatory patients to have access to the Nintedo system, according to Fran Ridder, CHOP's child life department director. Ridder said that CHOP has used the Nintendo system previously, but noted that the new Fun Center is more useful. "The difference with this model is that it's high enough to be used by a child who's confined to bed or on a stretcher," Ridder said. "They can be used in the holding area of the operating room as a diversion for a child about to have surgery." Hospital officials also said that they believe video games have theraputic value for children confined to the hospital. "I think one of the biggest reasons is [that] children are very powerless as individuals," Ridder said. "I think Nintendos give them a sense of control. It's challenging and visually and auditorially stimulating." Jane Schneck, a registered nurse at CHOP, agrees that playing video games helps facilitate interaction between the pediatric patients. "The playroom closes in the evenings and there are less things for them to do," said Schneck. "[With the Fun Center] they can play together, so it really helps build up friendships and they also learn how to take turns." Devon Fontane, a 16-year-old patient from Reading, said that he loves the new system and has been using it since the system was introduced on Tuesday. Schneck said Fontane had become the floor's expert on a new video game. "They love it," Schneck said. "The younger ones still love Mario." Ridder noted that the Fun Center also encourages "socialization." "We do see the children watching others play and waiting for their turn," Ridder said. "It's something they do cooperatively."