Sitting on the edge of the set for the Penn Players production of Chess, actress Ann Crumb told 35 students about her experiences on Broadway -- specifically her role in the New York production of the same musical. "Chess was one of the really strong shows on Broadway. It is unfortunate that it closed," Crumb said earlier this month. Crumb spent much of her speech discussing her views of the acting profession and used personal stories to explain some of the obstacles an actor faces when entering the field. "It's really scary to be in a career where 85 percent of the people are not working on any given day," Crumb said. "You have to learn to deal with rejection." Crumb recommended that students have a strong liberal arts background noting that actors without a solid education are "too focused and it shows in their performance." Crumb also told the audience that young actors must remember that they are multi-talented and should not get discouraged after a bad audition. "You are unique and can always do something else that is perhaps right around the corner," she said. Crumb said that she almost gave up acting after a bad audition, but earned a part in the show Les Miserables the same day. Crumb is currently working on an album featuring music from shows and said she hopes to be acting again in December. She said she "entered theater by default," but believes she is fortunate because it keeps her "grounded and fresh" although she would like to work in film. Currently, one of the biggest problems in New York theater is that the critics have too much power, Crumb said. "We're very happy to have Crumb speak," Kathryn Pelene, student performing arts coordinator said. "She is humorous and passionate and there is a humanity behind her performance." College senior Seema Desai said Crumb's speech provided her with additional insight for her role in the Penn Players production of Chess.