The University told former Theta Xi fraternity members yesterday that they must vacate their Locust Walk house by 5 p.m. today, but last night decided to extend the deadline "for a reasonable amount of time." In a memo yesterday, Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Director Tricia Phaup informed the former brothers that they must vacate today rather than in December because of excessive damage to the house. "Due to the extensive vandalism to the property, a University of Pennsylania Police Officer will be assigned to watch the property," the memo reads. "Members of the chapter will not be allowed in the property without police escort." The memo also warns that "individuals who signed Fall 1992 Occupancy Agreements will be held accountable for all existing and any future damage to the property." However, because of the late notice of their eviction, the University made a compromise with members last night that permits them to remain in the house under supervision of a University representative or a parent while they are searching for alternative housing, former Theta Xi President Dean Filipowicz said last night. University officials will set a new deadline for the former brothers' eviction today. Last Thursday, the Theta Xi national organization closed down the University chapter, forcing current members to assume early alumni status and vacate their house by the end of the semester. Filipowicz last night said that the residents of the house are not solely responsible for its excessive damages and that the University is largely to blame for the bad condition of the house. "The house has been condemned and the University has been letting us live here," he said. Filipowicz said much of the vandalism was also caused by alumni who visited the house two nights ago to "punch holes in the walls" and a somewhat wild 21st birthday party this past week. Theta Xi brothers spent much of last night trying to repair many of the damages, which include numerous holes in the walls and ceilings, peeling plaster and general uncleanliness. According to Filipowicz, the former fraternity brothers abide by the motto, "If you break it, you fix it." And he said he thinks the former Theta Xi brothers have improved the condition of the house. "We've only added to the value of the house rather than detracted from it." he said. Phaup, however, said she has evidence to the contrary. She cited the date of a past renovation which indicates the dramatic deterioration of the house through resident abuse. She said asbestos was removed and the entire first floor of the former Theta Xi house was redone a year and three months ago. She said the house has undergone an ugly transformation since the renovation date which has been "like night and day." In addition, she said information of the building's state from a fire-safety inspection which took place three weeks ago confirms the discovery of new damage. Phaup said she was mainly concerned about the damages to the house and the safety of its inhabitants. Several of the brothers claimed the renovation occurred in the fall of 1990 and attributed many of their housing problems to University neglect. Since the building title lies in the name of the University, the brothers pay their rent to OFSA. According to several brothers, the University has failed to provide desks, bureaus, beds and repair as promised in the contract. Many former brothers repeatedly pointed out the abundance of asbestos in their walls and ceilings and wide holes in their walls. Wharton senior Walter Piesyc said OFSA has continually claimed the fraternity was spending over the budget and would refuse to help. University administrators do not yet know who will move into the house, which is located at 37th Street and Locust Walk. The last time a fraternity -- Psi Upsilon -- was kicked off the Walk, the Community Service Living Learning Program was established in the Castle, at 36th Street and Locust Walk.