Wharton undergraduates will not be fully represented on the Undergraduate Assembly this year, regardless of next week's election outcome, because of a lack of candidates, Nominations and Elections Committee officials said yesterday. Members said, however, that despite Wharton students' lack of interest, they are encouraged by the number of freshman candidates. Thirty-three freshmen are running for eight spots on the UA. Monson said that the number of freshman candidates has increased 33 percent from last year. NEC Elections Chairperson Michael Monson said that despite publicity aimed at Wharton students, only one student, junior Glenn Elliott, will be a candidate for the two UA openings available for representatives of the school. During last spring's regular UA elections, only three Wharton students ran for the five spots, so the NEC is holding elections for the two openings at the same time that it is running elections for the freshman UA positions. "We are very pleased with the freshman turnout [which makes] a strong candidate pool," said Monson, a College junior. "[But we are] discouraged that Wharton undergraduates have not felt a need to be a part of the Undergraduate Assembly." "I feel very frustrated," said NEC Chairperson Melanie Brownrout. "We incorporated special advertising aimed at Wharton students [and] the choice was in their hands." Brownrout said that the NEC advertised the elections in the dining halls, High Rises and other University residences and especially targeted Steinberg-Dietrich Hall for Wharton students. Current Wharton representative and UA Treasurer Eric Leathers said he does not understand his classmates' lack of interest. Another of the three Wharton reps said he also was confused by Wharton students' apathy towards the UA. "[It is] unfortunate that our school isn't as represented as it could be," said junior Mark Frederick. "The idea of running for the UA, the interest just wasn't there." UA Chairperson Jeff Lichtman said that although he is disappointed by the lack of Wharton candidates, he is excited that so many freshmen are running for office. "[I get] encouragement from the freshman [turnout]," he said. "It shows that the freshmen are giving the UA a chance." At the NEC's candidate meeting last night, many freshman candidates said they are running for the UA so they can make changes at the University. "I've heard that the UA doesn't do much, and I'd like to change that," said one candidate. Another said that she'd like to "improve life at Penn." According to the NEC's Fair Practices Code, candidates for the UA cannot be quoted by name in The Daily Pennsylvanian during the week-long campaign. David Rose, University Council Steering representative on the UA, said that he is encouraged by the diversity among freshman candidates, but is bothered by the lack of UA support by Wharton students. "Unfortunately, [only having one candidate is] saying they're willing to sacrifice their voice as well as their choice," said Rose, a College senior. "Wharton now has the choice of one." UA candidates will campaign all week. Voting for freshmen and Wharton students will be held Monday and Tuesday at polling places around campus.