Last week the Nursing School received a grant for more than $216,000 to help establish an innovative out-patient day hospital. The grant from the William Penn Foundation will fund the facility which will be housed at the Ralston-Penn Center and is expected to begin operation by June. According to Nursing professor Joyce Colling, who is the geriatric nursing director at the Ralston-Penn Center, the Day Hospital is "a pioneering effort to aid those in need of multiple types of rehabilitation." The program is designed to improve follow-up monitoring and care for outpatients whose conditions require close attention but are not severe enough to warrant full-time hospital or nursing home care. Unlike other programs around the state, referred to as Comprehensive Output Rehabilitation Facilities, the Penn Day Hospital targets the elderly. The program will allow patients to visit on a regular basis throughout the week and stay throughout the day for treatment. "The Hospital will provide a cost-effective alternative to hospitalization," Nursing School Dean Norma Lang said. "We hear a lot about health care reform these days and this is a good way for Penn to be involved on the cutting edge." An interdisciplinary team composed of University experts in geriatric nursing, psychiatry, rehabilitation, social work and physical and occupational therapy will collaborate to provide health care services. The program will provide family education and referrals to community programs. Colling said that although the Nursing School will provide direct service, the Day Hospital provides "an understanding across health fields." Lang added that it provides one more option to nursing students who wish to be involved in home care, students interested in social work or students who are interested in working with the elderly. "This is a wonderful establishment at Penn to further student education, clinical research, and the surrounding community," Colling said. Colling also said that the program is "unique" because of its interdisciplinary nature and because it targets an age group in need of improved health care. "It is always exciting when we figure out a way to allow people to live outside of an institution and receive care, and right now the elderly are in need this type of service," Lang said. The concept was first conceived by Matty Mezy, former director of Geriatric Nursing at the Ralston-Penn Center who, in 1988, conducted a feasibility study for the program. She developed the concept of a Day Hospital at the University based on existing models in England. Directors are currently pursing other avenues of support, as projected operating costs for the first year are over $546,000. Organizers of the Day Hospital said they hope it obtains CORF status which will allow it to receive reimbursements for rehabilitation costs from Medicare part B. Colling said the Day Hospital will change patients' attitude toward rehabilitation "by providing an environment for it and for a rest period needed between therapies." Lang said the program "can help people help themselves."