An intruder broke into Hill House Monday night through a second floor window, stole money and other items, and left unnoticed through the room's door. But Hill residents said yesterday they believe the man actually wandered through the dormitory for more than two hours while looking for a way out of the building. According to University Police logs, the incident occurred between 6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. on Monday evening. No arrest was made. A telephone, answering machine, suitcase, and some money were taken from a second floor room, according to Michael Carroll, Detective Supervisor of the University Police Department. Instead of leaving through the window or Hill's front door, students and Hill officials believe the burglar apparently wandered down to the first floor in search of another exit. Several students reported a stranger wandering their halls at 11 p.m., approximately two hours after the burglary was reported. The police were called back, and together with Hill's graduate fellows, an unsuccessful search of the first floor was conducted, said Steve Feld, senior administrative fellow at Hill House. However, one of the building's fire doors was found open, and Feld said he assumes that is how the burglar finally left. "It is the assumption that the thief left through that door," said Feld, although he noted that, "There is not a lot of hard evidence." "This guy just walked down the hall with a suitcase over his shoulder. He was old and looked like he didn't belong," said Mari Boggiano, a College freshman who saw the intruder. "He seemed to be looking around. Now I know he was looking for a way out," she added. Boggiano saw the man walking around on the first floor a little before 10 p.m., but like other students who saw the intruder, she did not report him. Other Hill residents who saw the intruder at various times Monday evening described him as 6'1" with graying hair. They also noted that he carried a suitcase. However, no one in Hill reported the stranger until much later in the evening. Those who saw the intruder earlier that night did not become alarmed. Some figured the man could have been a guest or even someone's father. "You kind of wonder when you see someone out [of] the ordinary, but you don't automatically think he's a burglar," said Elaine Dwyer, a College freshman. "I thought it was strange, but my first thought was not that it must be a burglar," said Boggiano. "This place seems so safe that 'burglar' is not the first thing that comes to mind when you see someone walking through the hall." Most Hill residents said they did not feel any different about their safety after the break-in. "I knew the risk was always there, so this just reconfirms my belief that it can happen," said Matt Gustke, a Wharton freshman. "I really don't feel any different now than I did before." Most other residents also felt that Hill is still a safe building. They noted that there are bars on the first floor windows and that incidents such as the break-in are rare occurences. "To the best of my knowledge this is the first time Hill House has been broken into from the outside," said Feld, who called the event, "an isolated incident." Nonetheless, he emphasized the importance of safety and security while living in the city. "You have to take a responsibility for your own safety," Feld said. "The bottom line for Hill House is that students will keep windows and doors locked when they are out." Anyone with information regarding the intruder should contact Michael Carroll, Detective Supervisor, at the University Police Department.