To the Editor: She tells us of the terrible scourge we have placed on local residents. Anyone who pauses to think can tell this is not our only influence on our surroundings. I will be the first to admit that our behavior can sometimes deviate from acceptable. But evaluate the benefits West Philadelphia receives from having our campus in their neighborhood. With the money we bring into the area comes jobs. This is especially important in an economically depressed area, considering the country's current financial situation. This benefit far surpasses any harm caused by petty offenses of certain students. To continue further, we need to look at Philadelphia's influence on our campus. Yes, Penn's location was a major selling point in my decision to attend this university. I enjoy our proximity to historical sites, museums, sporting events and countless other attractions. Yes, I have every right to complain about the outrageous amount of crime. I think Guthrie would agree in saying that the severity of the countless violent crimes that greet us as we pick up our DP's on a typical morning by far outweigh our littering, disturbing the peace and public intoxication violations. We, the students, are the victims. To protect ourselves, students inconvenience themselves by either carrying mace, travel in packs, or using Escort. I have yet to know of a West Philadelphia resident who has undergone the same precautions to protect himself or herself from those menacing college students. ROBERT SEMINARA Wharton '94