From Ericka Guthrie's "The Fire This Time," Fall '92 I cannot say that I understand exactly why that is. It is not as if you did not know that Penn is located in the heart of Philadelphia, or didn't you? I mean when you came to visit, did you happen to look to the left of High Rise South, or behind Low Rise North, and see that we live in a city? You may not have been able to choose what high school you went to, but you must have had some say in what college you wanted to attend. So then why is it that time and time again, I hear complaints about the homeless, the crime -- and even the people -- of West Philly? I'm so very sorry if it upsets some people that Penn, no matter how hard it tries, is not a vacuum. We are affected by the community, and the community is also affected by us. Do you really believe that the majority of West Philadelphians, the ones who you complain about, really care about Penn students? Do you think that they sit around all day and just reflect on how wonderful the University of Pennsylvania community is? Well, they don't. In fact, I suspect that the day after the final undergraduate moves out, the whole city of Philadelphia celebrates and who could blame them? Many West Philadelphians say they are sick of all the trash Penn students leave in the Philly streets. Residents complain they are tired of the loud parties where people pee out of the windows and throw up anywhere. Of course, they can't possibly be thrilled with the pictures in the DP that depict West Philly in a negative light. And I know that I, for one, am tired of seeing a bunch of drunk white boys running naked through the streets in the middle of winter. In talking with a fellow Penn student who is also a resident of Philadelphia, I was able to take a look at both sides of the issue. But when I was done talking to him, I was really embarrassed for this "community of scholars." He pointed out that Penn students are very quick to pass judgement on Philadelphians by the way they act and the way in which they carry themselves. But when it comes down to it, most Penn students do not even stop to think that they, too, can be judged. Many times, what the West Philly community sees is not all-too-impressive. So to all of you who "cannot stand Philly," I offer a few suggestions: 1) You can always transfer to Princeton, Brown or Dartmouth -- so as not to compromise your membership in the Ivies -- and live in harmony with the squirrels and deer, and whatever other animals you find when your school is in the middle of the woods. 2) You can just stay in the Quad. Or, there is one other option: 3) Just get over it, suck it up, and do something productive. If the state of West Philadelphia bothers you so much, get involved so you can help change it. And one final thought to leave you with?Seeing how you live here eight out of the twelve months of the year, you are as much a citizen of Philadelphia as the man or woman you see walking down the street. So stop being part of the problem, and begin to contribute to a solution. Ericka Guthrie is a College sophomore from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. "The Fire This Time" appears alternate Fridays.