Columbia University professor Lawrence Brown told about fifty professors, medical students and other members of the University community last week that presidential candidates Gov. Bill Clinton and President Bush have failed to take a stand on health care reform. "Every time Bush's administration opens its mouth, it's something else, likewise with Clinton's people," he said. Brown, a health care policy and management professor, outlined the possible "changes and innovations" that he said are necessary for the nation's failing health care system. "I have little doubt that we will try and do [this reform] incrementally," Brown said. "But we are going to end up with comprehensive reform. Hence, the slippery slope to reform." Brown insisted in his speech, which was sponsored by the University's Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics speaker series, that this problem is of national proportion. "It's not the working class. It's not the uninsured. It's now a middle-class issue," Brown said. The seminar was presented at the Colonial Penn Center Auditorium and was the first component of what will be a semester long series of health policy lectures. "Professor Brown's speech is viewed as an entree to bringing out all of the options," said LDI Event Coordinator Benjamin Meisner. "The point is to provide a dialogue for the University's research community and other health care experts outside of the University." Brown presented the audience of economists, physicians and University students with his proposed outline for, "assessing the prospects for [health care] change and innovation." Following an introduction by Alan Hillman, senior fellow and director of the Center for Health Policy at LDI, Brown admitted to the audience that health care change is approaching. "We have always realized in retrospect that we had missed something in the equation, but now change seems possible in the United States health care system," Brown said. The hour-long lecture provided the audience with a chance to counter or add to Brown's outline of current international policies and their impact on national options. "His political science background offered a different point of view from the usual economist lecturers at the LDI seminars," said Joseph King, a Medical School resident. "Comments made about the forces of the electorate were important, because the American people have to understand that change is necessary." The Institute's theme for this year's series is "Innovative Programs For Health Policy Reform," and it will serve as a forum for health policy experts from all sectors. Former Democratic Presidential candidate Michael Dukakis will be speaking in November. 'We have always realized in retrospect that we had missed something in the equation, but now change seems possible in the United States health care system.' Columbia University professor Lawrence Brown Columbia University professor