Democratic Presidential candidate Bill Clinton will spend this morning in Philadelphia, beginning with a stroll down 52nd Street and culminating with a speech at a Columbus Day celebration in South Philadelphia. Clinton is scheduled to walk down 52nd Street between Walnut and Chestnut streets starting at about 9:45 a.m., Jim Whitney, Clinton's Pennsylvania press secretary, said this weekend. "[Clinton will be] meeting with shoppers and shopowners and talking to them," Whitney said. "It's a good way to get to listen and share with leaders in the community and residents in the community." Some of the area's residents know about Clinton's visit and others will be surprised by his appearance, Whitney said, adding that similar informal walks have been greeted with positive responses in other cities. The Arkansas Governor is then scheduled to appear at an 11:15 a.m. press conference at the Warwick Hotel, 1701 Locust Street. Following the press briefing, Clinton is expected to travel to 9th and Passyunk streets in South Philadelphia, the site of Pat's Steaks and Geno's Steaks, to address the crowds assembled for Columbus Day. Clinton's economic plan will be the topic of his talk, Whitney said. He said it will stress the pain that Pennsylvanians have suffered during 12 years of Republican administrations. Whitney added that the Democratic ticket has been paying a lot of attention to the state over the last few months, stopping in Pennsylvania on two separate bus tours. "Pennsylvania is certainly an important state," he said. "It's a big state. Clinton and [Democratic Vice-Presidential candidate Al] Gore have both spent a lot of time here since the [Democratic] convention [in July]."